Messene is a significant ancient city in terms of its size, form, and state of preservation. In addition to the sanctuaries and public buildings, it also shows fortifications, houses and tombs. It has never been destroyed or covered by later settlements, and is located on an unspoilt inland site.
Temple of Epicurean Apollo
Onthe north borders of Messinia, in a rough mountainous landscape stands the imposing temple of Epicurean Apollo, one of the largest ancient temples. The temple is situated 14 kilometres south of Andritsaina, at an altitude of 1.130 m., on mountain Kotilio.
Nestor Palace is one of the top monuments in Messinia. It´s a complex of various buildings. The main building, longer than 50 m. and wider than 32 m, seems to have been the King´s home. At the southeast, a smaller building, seems to have been the older complex
Built approx. 1500 BC, nowadays, the castle is a placeto enjoy calm among the pine trees and a breath-taking panoramic view of the historical centre of Kalamata. The inside of the castle is not open to the public.
In the southwest tip of the Peloponnese, lies the great fortress of Methoni. In the small peninsula, that was already fortified from ancient times, there has always been a city, renowned for its harbour.
Two castles are built on the summits of the hills overlooking the Bay of Navarino and the town of Pylos: the older castle of Navarino and the more recent Niokastron. The latter was built in 1573 by the Turks. During the Second World War it was used as the seat of the Italian and, later, the German headquarters and was made famous in the film “Guns of Navarone”.